History of the Name
The name goes back to the days Loudoun was a part of Fairfax County, or even earlier. The earliest of the Loudoun County circuit courts, meeting in the spring of 1757, ordered surveyors to mark the best way from Leesburg to the Blue Ridge, and they decided its eastern stretches should stay to the south “of the round hill.”
The hill itself is a 910-foot high knob two miles southwest of town. In pre-1722 years its summit was a camping place for Indians traversing the “plain path” – as the Indians called their trails – from the Shenandoah Valley to their main north-south migration route along today’s Route 15. The 1722 Treaty of Albany forbade the Indians to migrate east of the Blue Ridge, and thereafter the gentle slopes and summit of the Round Hill became farmland, once again to become a camping and listening place during the Civil War. Shortly, the hill again took its present appearance as farmland, and by the early 20th century it was also called Round Top – to distinguish it from the newly-established town.